Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Jumping Off The Cliff, Hoping I Can Fly...


       So I guess in order to make a Blog I have to start writing, so here I go. But because this is my first one I guess I should prepare anyone who is going to follow this, which might just be my mom in which case I should be writing in Spanish but whatever.  I've always being afraid of blogs which is why I've never made one. I feel the pressure of writing proper english and be careful with my grammar which is going to be impossible. Then there's the need to be entertaining and yet to the point so people don't waste an afternoon reading a long ass blog like this one right now. As I'm writing this I'm thinking of what's really the purpose of this and how committed am I really going to be. The honest truth is that this is mostly for myself. To be able to read all the blogs after 1 year and hopefully not regret any of my actions, and relive all the amazing things that are about to happen.

As a senior trip at Montclair State University where I graduated from, me and some of my closest friends took a cruise trip to BERMUDA. The adventures we had there might not be appropriate for a blog lol but one that might be good to share is my cliff jumping experience. The picture above is my friend Tony jumping with no fear into what it looked like the grand canyon, at least for me.  At that moment I wanted more than anything to jump off with the same freedom. I climbed the cliff and was up there for 45 minutes trying to find the courage to jump. After my friend Liz (also known as a GODDESS) jumped off to help me see it was ok, I had no other option but to jump. The feeling I had the second I hit the clear waters was unreal, a sense of accomplishment and growth with just a simple jump.

Now I have arrived to a bigger cliff that Im afraid to jump from, but the desire to do it is even bigger. After signing with my agency Bloc I have gone to quite a few auditions, including 3 major ones where I made it all the way to the end but it wasn't my time to book them. First Bill T Jones workshop of his new musical Super Fly, then Usnavi for In The Heights the National Tour, and finally Zorro the Musical International Tour to Israel and China. Well now I'm happy to say I did in fact book Zorro and will be leaving to Israel in 8 days and will be away for 15 months.

This cliff might seem so easy and excited to jump from to most of you, and even though I feel the same the fear it's still there. Fear of not being able to survive without the hugs and kisses of my 8 year old sister who I've never being away from for over 2 months. The love and support of my parents and family who call me every 2 minutes to say hello. The food that I can't leave without cooked by the best chef my mother. And of course all the amazing friends that inspire me and make me laugh everyday. Maybe its a cultural thing but I have never left my family for this long. Last time this happened was when i went to work in a play in Cuba for a month, and my mother and my best friend flew there to give me the biggest surprise of my life.

Honestly I know that love will always be there, which is why Im ready to JUMP.  Im going to a country where I don't know the language, or have any friends or friends of a friend. I am soooooo grateful to have the opportunity to work in such an amazing show with some amazing talent right after college.  I know I will change, but no doubt in my mind that it will be for the good.

I wasn't lying when I said you will waste an afternoon reading these blogs haha. I promise they will be shorter, less metaphorically and much JUICIER, so keep posted.

5 comments:

  1. We're going to 25 cities!! WHAT!?!
    Can I post a link to your blog on my blog? blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh boy. All this feels like a dream. A wonderful dream. I remember jumping off that cliff with you that day. Conquering our fears for something greater than our ego. Perhaps it was for the little kid in us- the one who used to be fearless, or the one who never seemed to muster up enough strength when it was called for. Maybe it was the goddess within encouraging us to throw ourselves out into the universe ;) All I know is that that day you inspired me to be courageous for you because so many times you have been the one leading me. Your friendship has been a real gem in my life. I treasure it. I treasure you. You are an adventurer down to the very core. Zie Jian! - Lizzie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations Carlos! I was so happy to hear your incredible news. I too just started a blog, so hopefully we can use these silly things to stay in touch while you're having your adventure! Break a leg my love, you deserve all the success in the world.
    -Ali Andresini

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hhola mi amorsote im here hahahaha next to you forever muaaaa i love you you are the best dont change muaaaa

    ReplyDelete
  5. not a waste of time, i was ready to finish with a sociology test and saw this blog, stopped but cant stop wanting to read everyone one of your thoughts, carlos tu todavia no sabes lo q eres capaz, el maravilloso futuro q te depara la vida, lo grande q eres tanto personal como en lo artista, you are able to meake someone like me fall in love with your life, tus ideas, your work, without even know you pero i dont need too porque tu cara con esa sonrisota en una foto lo dice todo. you will have friends in the whole world porque people cant do anything else but love you. eres magnifico besos yenny

    ReplyDelete